Wednesday, March 18, 2009

i have made soap and this is it here

not cheese

I had to make labels for it, because otherwise it just looks like cheese. Hey, maybe I should make cheese? I went to a cheese factory once, there was a man behind a big window who made cheese while you watched, which is a bit weird really when you think about it. I think he was stirring it with a spade, I can't remember. It really smelled like cheese in there though, let me tell you.

But take my word for it, this is good old-fashioned cold process soap. You make it by melting solid fats & oils and mixing them with a solution of sodium hydroxide and water. Then you stir it up until it starts to get thick, add essential oils and pour into a mould. I used a shallow cardboard box lined with waxed paper. It takes 12 or so hours to set, during which time it heats up alarmingly - it burned off a lot of the essential oils during this process, leaving it with a fairly subtle scent. Then you hack it into chunks and leave it to cure for a few weeks.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I was really surprised when it actually worked. I mean, it lathers up like real soap and everything! Wowsers.

soap

9 comments:

  1. Wow that looks ace. Where'd you get sodium hydroxide from?
    You could put all sorts of weird stuff in it it if you wanted, couldn't you? Like Lego or ants. I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally be the same way! "Wow, you mean this actually *works*???" LOL! It looks great (and your labels are cute!) and I'm glad it's full of lather-y goodness. Congrats on your first batch!

    Also, I like BB's idea of putting Legos in them. Maybe not so much with the ants...

    ReplyDelete
  3. BB, I got it from Wilko's. It's caustic soda, used for unblocking drains and stuff.

    The possibilities are endless aren't they? I think bees would be a particularly invigorating addition. Bee and lemon. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! How industrious of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soap is for scrubbers - that’s right isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you making bombs also? the last person i saw making soap (it was in a movie) was also making bombs...and fighting underneath a pub. Has The Star, started a fight club in the cellar?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spilt caustic soda on my sock once and it ate through it, are you sure you ought to be using that stuff in soap? I am very concerned for your safety, Hannah, but equally, I appreciate that you might have really really really high hygiene standards. Seeing as you like to make stuff, I think you should make this http://users.lycaeum.org/~sputnik/Humor/banadine.html - doesn't it look exciting? I would but I don't have a microwave and I hate bananas. Also I am lazy. Hope you're well. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm bored of looking at this soap now. Why don't you try and be more prolific like me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to make soap, doesn't seem too hard a process.

    ReplyDelete