Thursday, March 13, 2008

'country man about town' camera case



Hey everyone - sewing is the new knitting! Not really, of course, sewing is still just the old sewing. Had you there for a minute though, didn't I? It's annoying when people say things like that, I know. Sorry. I couldn't help myself - I have been at the wine.

I made this for Rob for his birthday. It's not an original idea, being rather inspired by a number of similar camera cases I've seen kicking around Etsy. I based it loosely on the Diana. It features real suede patches, and a proper lining and everything:



Goodness me, sewing is fast compared to knitting! I couldn't believe I'd finished it so soon. Sewing through suede is hard, and I totally ravaged my thumb making this. But it is also fun, even though the process is actually 80% cutting & pressing, 20% sewing. What a massive swizz.

Coming up next in sewing news: I attempt an extremely challenging bag, not at all recommended for beginners. All will be revealed in several months time. Until then, I've got a lot of knitting to do. Good day.

10 comments:

  1. I love the little details on this case. Supercute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just adorable!! I love the colors you chose too--that pop of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To make sewing the suede easier, pre-punch it with an awl or leather punch.

    I know this from working top-grain, where you just can't sensibly work it without punching, and because "glover's needle" is a synonym for "blood everywhere".

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some fine work right there. It seems sewing is the old sewing that people are getting into anew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the key to sewing with suede and soft leather is a thimble...for a long time I thought they were just for protecting fingertips from needle pokes, but it turns out the little dimples are to brace the back of the needle while you push it through thick fabrics...brilliant! works quite well too, I recomend the standard plain metal kind, as the plastic ones are crap and the porcelain are just for show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aren't you great! What a lucky guy to get this wallet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. that is just adorable. i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is luscious!! Must. spend. more. time. crafting!

    ReplyDelete