Monday, April 30, 2007

forgotten music of the flumps



The Flumps, along with Fingerbobs and Bagpuss, was one of those programmes that made me feel a bit peculiar when I was a kid. Of course I now realise that was probably because they were designed to induce an unnatural state of soporific tranquility in children, like a dose of kiddie Valium. If you've ever watched The Joy of Painting you'll know what I'm talking about.

The music from the Flumps was written by Paul Reade, who is, incidentally, the composer of the theme to that other British classic, the Antiques Roadshow. Gay Soper, the programme's narrator, sings the songs in her lovely posh BBC voice. It was all very civilised, but with just a hint of melancholy.

I searched all over the internets to see if I could find any of these gems for sharing, but alas, there were none. So, by the power of Greyskull, I bring you the forgotten music of the Flumps. Wheels Turning Round, with its whimsical oboe stylings, is my favourite, but I have to give props to The Moon Alone for being perhaps the most pensive song ever to grace a children's television show. Enjoy. And then feel a bit weird.

Wheels Turning Round

The Moon Alone

More links:

Opening titles to the Flumps
Opening titles to Fingerbobs
The Music of Bagpuss
The Joy of Painting

4 comments:

  1. Thank you I loved the Flumps:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The theme tune to The Moomins does the same for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw lovely! I don't think they'd put so much effort and quality into a song for a kids' show these days. You're right about the feeling weird part... I want a nap now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this! sounds lovely

    klang verkstedet x

    ReplyDelete