Friday, December 08, 2006

inspiration round up

Exciting toy news! Those genius Japanese minimalists Muji have expanded their range of soft toys with these winsome knitted dogs (and a cat):

Must...make.........animals.......... problem is, I have so many projects on the go at the moment, I'm already wondering whether I'm ever actually going to get anything finished ever again. Even so, I am sorely tempted to hack up an old woolly jumper and sew myself a saggy new pet.

The idea of sewing some toys out of old clothes has been on my mind ever since I got my hands on a copy of Japanese craft book Dog? or Zoo? (ISBN 4767801354). All the animals in this book started out as items of clothing or household objects. There's a mule made out of an old hat, dogs made out of jeans & gloves & mopheads, a lion made from a scarf, and a rabbit made from a woolly pompom hat, plus loads more.

I particularly like the idea of making gloves into dogs. I'm thinking that I'd like to spend the winter collecting up lost gloves that have been stuck on railings, and making them into stray dogs to be put back in their place. In fact, I am liking this idea so much that I am probably definitely going to do it. Probably.


  1. Go for it, Han.
    They deserve life.

  2. The glove dog is the cutest!! I love the idea of making them out of lost gloves.

  3. i like the t-shirt and the gloves more than the cat and dog. ner!

  4. I'm sure you'll feel differently when you come up for a visit & I make all your clothes into animals while you're asleep x