Thursday, June 15, 2006

confessions of an compulsive hoarder

I have a large collection of musical instruments in my house, including an almost embarrassing number of keyboards. These include a Casio MT-100, salvaged from a skip outside my house, a Cavendish model 1500 easy play organ from the junk shop down the road, my trusty Casio VL-1 (VL-Tone) 'synthesiser' that I got for Christmas when I was 7, the bulky Yamaha Portatone PSR-4500 that got me through my A-Level music, and a toy grand piano which I bought in a moment of madness off eBay.
But there's more! I have 3 descant recorders, 1 tenor recorder, a miniature accordion, a collection of crazy 'folk' instruments made out of gourds & bamboo, pan-pipes, ocarinas, a jews harp, glockenspiel, bongos, a guitar, a turkish 'saz' and, of course, the Rosedale Electric Chord Organ in case I feel like busting out a few sea shanties, which is more often than I'd care to admit. Oh, and a collection of those animal noise canisters that you tip upside down - I have them in cat, cow, sheep & bird. That's percussion, right?
I clearly have a problem, and there's no cure in sight. I am constantly on the look out for more. I NEED a thumb piano, melodica, stylophone, fender rhodes, sopranino recorder, set of hand bells, vibraphone, theremin, tubular bells, a bikelophone, a tibetan singing bowl and a massive gong (for dinner time). I'm not sure how much longer I can live without these essentials.
And now, via Music Thing, my obsession turns to these ToyQuest instruments, produced in conjunction with Blue Man Group:

What is it about toy instruments that makes them so appealing? These look AWESOME! Them there tubes are motion sensor devices (like a theremin?), and that little green drawer slides out to reveal a freakin' iPod dock, for jamming along to Emerson Lake & Palmer. Swoon!


  1. They are frickin' marvellous..I may have to flex Mr Visa!

  2. You owe it to your children! You don't want them to grow up hating you, after all...

  3. Those are amazing!! My husband is going to freak when he sees those!

    He is a keyboard hoarder as well. We have not one but 2 Mt-100's!! As well as many other assorted casios!

    I think look at it as an investment! There are lots of keyboard enthusiasts out there so if we are ever strapped for cash.....


  4. I know what my 7-month old is getting for Christmas! I just need to find some blue baby-safe face paint and a baby-sized black outfit.

  5. not really a quip related to this particular post but thought you should know i have just wasted about 2 hours reading all your posts, and people may now go to prison because i have not worked hard enough on their cases. Damn you Hannah for being an entertaining writer. ps i am slightly worried about the regularity that you dream of either murdering people or being murdered. I must let you have one of business cards 'just in case'.

  6. Antoine, you know perfectly well that those people DESERVE to go to prison.

    I think you should start up your own 'Blog of Justice' where you reveal confidential information about your cases until you get fired and then maybe you'll come down and visit once in a while.

  7. it is common knowledge that all my clients are innocent. apart from the ones that plead guilty. but they are merely victims of circumstance, troubled upbringing, etc.

    I promise i will try and visit soon, hopefully i won't have to get sacked to accomplish this.

    smell you later

  8. I have stylophone and theramin sounds in my little black Roland box but - meh - it's not the same as the real thing.