Monday, April 11, 2005

i had a cow's tongue in my mouth

I have an announcement. I am in the club. The Kathie Webber's All-Star Cookery Card Club, that is! Hahaha. You see, my latest charity shop acquisition is this monster box of 1970's recipe cards that I got for a pound (a POUND!) earlier today.
In 1970's England people thought nothing of eating bacon with every meal. Anything remotely sloppy was taken care of with a liberal measure of powdered gelatine (bacon mousse, anyone?) and everything else was coffee flavour.
In the school holidays, if you were lucky, perhaps your mum would whip up a round of these for you and your mates:


Later, when Dad came home from work there would be a steaming pot of this:

love put me wise to her love in disguise

When I was a kid, I didn't realise that tongue was actually, you know, TONGUE. The horror. I ate cow tongue! Like freakin' Fear Factor or something. I ate slices of tongue. A SLICE OF A TONGUE. Let's all stop and think about that for a sec.

If anyone wants to recreate these golden culinary moments, I'm happy to share the recipes. Just be warned that the first task involved in making 'Love In Disguise' will have you removing the tubes from 4 pig's hearts like a bad day on Animal Hospital.

NEXT WEEK: Fat Rascals, Shit with Egg on & Jolly Boys with Bacon.


  1. WOW! You have recipes for peckered beef paps and booger-fried pork nipples AND you knit!

    You MUST be the hottest chick on earth!

  2. I got this link from a friend and it immediately reminded me of you. The Brits aren't the only ones with some messed-up food culture...

  3. we also have this! but we are missing about 3 cards! Jamie paid £2 - £3 England pounds for it -!! i just had a bunch of freinds round for food and we ended the night by thanking our lucky stars that it is not the 70s. YUCK. Love in disguise DISGUSTING/