Monday, July 19, 2004

songs for whistling in squash courts

My favourite thing about working in a sports centre, bearing in mind that I hate all sport, is the acoustic resonance of the halls. I can while away many happy hours practising my jazz whistling, audible even above the noise of the industrial floor cleaner. Ever whistled in a swimming pool? It's worth the admission charge alone.
I have decided that whistling is now my instrument of choice. It doesn't carry the self-consciousness of singing, or even humming. You don't have to worry about people sneaking up on you while you're whistling. It's almost as if you're not even making the noise - the whistled song has a life of its own, and it just happens to be you that is pooting it forth. In addition to this, whistling mysteriously makes it look like you are doing your job properly. I like to really go for it.
My problem is this - I have no repetoire. When faced with an infinity of choice, my mind is often blank. I can't remember any songs, and the ones I attempt are inevitably unsuitable (My recent attempts at Goodbye Yellow Brick Road have been going wrong at the transition from verse to chorus). It's the limited range, you see, that renders some songs wholly unsuitable for whistling. When this happens, I find myself reverting to Air's Alpha Beta Gaga. Since this is essentially a 10 note loop, I have found that it quickly becomes infuriating. Something must be done.

UPDATE! Since writing this, my default whistle is now officially El Condor Pasa. Technical tip - it's imperative to do a pitch check by whistling the highest bit first (something about sailing away like a swan) in order to avoid 'hitting the wall' mid-performance.

UPDATE #2 I have become semi adept at Ennio Morricone's Story Of A Soldier, although this also poses a tricky high bit - as long as you really mean it you should be fine.

i made this

No comments:

Post a Comment